3.19.2009

its a mans world...

having a hard time because of my matched x chromosomes is nothing new. after all i am the only girl in my fire company.  i am married to a type a personality.  i was raised in a conservative home where the man is the head of the house hold.  i make a living on a paramedic crew- in this area at least, its a male dominated field.  i run into a problem occasionally, but this time i am really pissed off.  am i angry because my chief hasn't learned to trust me to do my job?  am i concerned because the creepy guy who stays one step behind the harassment line was just made a shift supervisor? nope.  i have made peace with all that.  i am furious because my male gyn has been treating me with lupron for months.  this would have been a great idea if endometriosis was actually the source of the pain.  when it kept getting worse, i sought a second opinion.  this time from a female doctor who actually understood when i described the pain by relating it to menstrual pain, childbirth and other things men have no idea about. if the gyn had listened to me carefully the first time, he may have realized that the pain was affecting my job, my sex life, etc without assuming i was woman and therefore weak and intolerant to a little discomfort.  so now, nearly a year after all this started, i am facing the possibility of losing my job, seeing an oncologist, and having surgery soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment