10.22.2009

not surprised...

New partner.  Just got cleared as a medic. We just returned from his very first call.  Unconscious subject, 69 y/o male.   I recognized the patient as a local preacher.  Started asking bystanders about meds, history, allergies, etc while setting up an IV and partner hooked up the 12-lead. No cardiac history. Blood sugar elevated at 280.  Respirations inadequate at 6/min.  BLS crew was assisting ventilations via BVM.  Sinus rhythm on the tachy side at 100.  Got him into the vollie ambulance and partner jumped in with them. I listened to consult as I followed in our unit to hospital.  Wondering could be the matter with this sweet old clergyman, no way his blood sugar could be the cause of this.  As I listened to my partner give vitals and interventions to the hospital over the radio, I heard : "administered Narcan with remarkable result. Patient is now coming around and beginning to talk to us."  Huh. So it was a drug overdose. Somehow, I wasn't surprised.  Guess I've been doing this too long.  At the hospital, a worried daughter confided to us that her dad has a habit of taking other people's pain medication.  So basically, what happened was nice old small town preacher offered to sit with a sick man while wife went out. Apparently, he uses his position with his parishioners to steal their pain meds.  I am not religious, but if there is a God, pretty sure He's pissed with this dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment